The following notes are taken from the lecture on Poisons Act 1952, Poisons Regulations 1952, and Poisons (Psychotropic Substances) Regulations 1989 by Mr. Tan from Bahagian Perkhidmatan Farmasi, JKNS.
1. In answering some questions, we need to classify a particular poison first.
Try to find these poisons in the poisons list (1st schedule)--it is not that straightward!
[Scroll down for answers]
Cresol, methyl phenol, hydroxy toluene, thymol
2. Some 'guidelines' to help us recognise/remember the psychotropic substances:
3. In the 3rd Schedule of PA52: Psychotropic Substances,
substances structurally derivated from 1,4-benzodiazepines include midazolam, alprazolam...
4. Draft a format for........
The Prescription Register for Psychotropic Substances
In accordance with r19 & r22 of P(PS)R89:
Name and Strength of Psychotropic Substance:______________________
|Date Supplied/Administered/Received||Serial No.||Name & Address of Patient/Supplier||Quantity Supplied/Administered/Received||Balance Stock|
4. 'Tips' from Mr. Tan ( 'if you don't know this, sure lose mark'; 'take my word, sure come out')
s5- Sale of poisons by wholesale
s19- Supply of poisons for the purpose of treatment by professional men
s21(2)- Form of prescription for Group B Poisons
s24(1)- The prescriptioin book
s30- Control of import, export, manufature, sale etc of psychotropic substances
r12(a)- Labelling of dispensed medicine
r21 & r22- Prescription register for psychotropic substances
r23- Supply to outpatients in government hospitals
r26 & 27- Labelling of psychotropic substance for sale (for purpose other than medical, dental, or animal treatment)
5. In answering questions, don't use short form for acts (i.e. don't write PA52, but write 'Poisons Act 1952'; but can write 's11' (for section 11) and 'r3' (for regulation3).
[Read as 'For salbutamol, look under Adrenaline and other substances structurally derived from phenethylamine']
Salbutamol-Adrenaline and other substances structurally derived from phenethylamine
Ephedrine- Ephedra, alkaloids of
Heparin- Anticoagulant substances
Prednisolone- Cortisone, hydrocortisone
Sodium cyanide- Hydrogen cyanide
Benzocaine- Local anaesthetics
Cresol, methyl phenol, hydroxy toluene, thymol- Phenols
Progesterone- Sex hormone
BCG vaccine- Vaccines, sera, toxoids...
Antitetanus- Vaccines, sera, toxoids...